As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll be helping to drive our product and engineering department forward, working on different parts of the Paddle ecosystem and helping our Software Sellers sell their products on a platform they trust and rely on.
Our Engineering department is split into three groups, each focused around different parts of the Buyer and Seller experience. Teams are spun up within each group to tackle different projects, with a home team working on continuous improvement. With the recent expansion to our engineering team, values and culture are more important than ever, and you'll be expected to help keep the great environment we have as we move forward.
You are empowered to use the right language for the job for our services, which currently includes Go or Python running on AWS Lambda, PHP in AWS ECS, and static React applications hosted in S3. You’ll have the freedom to make technology and tooling decisions and educate the rest of your colleagues accordingly.
What you'll do
- Develop high traffic APIs used by hundreds of active Software Sellers
- Build on our high traffic public-facing web application used by hundreds of thousands of Software Buyers a month
- Engineer high performance background workers for consuming queues
- Collaborate with our engineers to design API specifications
- Practise DevOps, you’re responsible for getting your code to production and supporting it
- Use the latest AWS services available to run your code
- Write performant and well tested code
- Build and iterate on our core products using data driven decisions
- Help design a stable platform to support phenomenal growth
- Participate in the recruitment process: CV reviews, interviews, reviewing technical ability and cultural fit
- Be a resource for less senior Engineers to provide mentoring and coaching
- Play a part in an agile team (kanban or scrum as needed) - participate in stand-ups, sprint planning & retrospectives
We'd love to hear from you if
- You’re the type of person that –
- Proactively finds ways to improve the code and team processes
- Enjoys collaborating with both technical and non-technical departments
- Ensures coding standards are constantly improving
- Has a strong understanding of the development process - from design through to deployment, maintenance, and what that means for day-to-day development
- Identifies the right technologies and languages to use in different situations
- Has strong commercial experience developing web applications or other software platforms
- Takes pride in what you build
- Always interested in what new tools and techniques you could introduce to us!
- Your skill set includes –
- Experience and knowledge of best practices with either PHP, Go or Python
- Building internal & external APIs and microservices
- Unit and behavioural testing
- Solid understanding of cloud infrastructure (preferably AWS)
- You’re interested in learning more about –
- AWS suite including Lambda, ECS & Fargate, CloudFormation, S3, RDS, Cloudwatch, SQS, SNS
- Docker containers and microservice architecture
- Python, Go or PHP (Laravel 5 and Lumen)
- Product discovery and ideation
Why you’ll love working at Paddle
We are a diverse team of around 140 people based near Shoreditch. We care deeply about enabling a great culture which is inclusive no matter your background. We celebrate our diverse group of talented employees and we pride ourselves on our transparent, collaborative, friendly and respectful culture.
We offer a full slate of benefits, including competitive salaries, stock options, pension plans, private healthcare and on-site coaching sessions. We believe in flexible working and offer all team members unlimited holidays and 3 months paid parental leaves regardless of gender. Plus we offer some not-so-standard, extra-fun benefits, which can include anything from joining office football team, taking up in-office yoga lessons or enjoying a board game night. We host regular company get-togethers and quarterly socials. We have weekly catered lunches and of course, fully stocked fridges and cold brew on tap. We value learning and will help you with your personal development where we can — from constant exposure to new challenges and annual learning stipend to regular internal and external training.
Our mission is to help software companies succeed — enabling them to focus on creating products the world loves. Hundreds of companies rely on our e-commerce platform to sell their software products globally, as well as our powerful analytics and marketing tools to understand and grow their businesses.
Our vision is to become the platform that all software companies use to run and grow their business. We aim to replace a fragmented ecosystem of specialised tools with a unified platform that removes the complex burden that comes with running a software business, whilst also providing unparalleled insight to help them grow faster.
We’re early in our journey but making great progress: Deloitte Fast 50 named us the fastest growing software company in the UK (we’ve tripled revenue every year since our launch in 2012), and we’ve raised over $25m in funding from incredible investors such as Notion, BGF and Kindred.
We believe in having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply and we don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age. Our office is wheelchair friendly and we are a family-friendly employer.